Monday 13 July 2020

Family can be so awkward.

My (now ex-) wife kept her name when we got married, back in the mid 80s. Her Grandmother would make cryptic comments about "being married but not acting like it" which everyone would sort of shuffle past and ignore.Until she made the comment to The Governor at a Garden Party she'd taken my wife to as her plus one. Ms Ford was a little taken aback and said "Molly, what on Earth do you mean?" Molly explained that her granddaughter had kept her name when she got married, and the Governor said "Well, Molly, so did I, so if it is good enough for me, I think it is all right for your granddaughter." Molly never made awkward remarks about our marriage again.

I'd helped Molly work her way through the protocols on which version of her regalia to wear, and the Protocol Officer gushed to her about how pleased he was to see somebody wearing the exact right kit for the occasion. Molly told him that I'd guided her through the protocols, and he begged her to convey his effusive thanks to me. One of my proudest moments as a herald.

No comments:

Post a Comment